Sunday, September 23, 2007

Opal Creek without water

After we got done running N Santiam "Big Cliff to Spencers" on Sunday, I decided to head up to Opal Creek to show Devin Thor's Playroom. Granted there was no water or at least a whopping 16-17 cfs or so. I think it's interesting looking at the geology and seeing what makes up a great rapid. I was glad to see there were no big suprises with the exception of several bolders that are just sitting on the bedrock waiting to shift at any high water event, almost all of the rocks are slowly eroding away with a good undercut wall on the far right door up top. Looked likea good place to stay away from.

Thor's Hammer


The section above the final drop which can be seen aty the bottom. This is usually one of my favorite sections of Thor's. Fast channel with several reactionary waves form


Door #4 up top. The undercut wall is out of sight around the right bend and I'm not sure yet which rock is the one that cause pinning.


The final ledge drop. I still remember my first down Opal with Jason Boyok leading. Although I opted to not run Thor's that day. It's around 2200cfs. Jason threw several ends before working his way out of the ledge.