Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Val Sesia, Italy pics (of me!!) with Gene17

Myself posing unknowningly, but hey. I look cool!!
The big slide at the beginning of the Egua. Above this slide was a technical class IV lead in that had a nice pin spot and a few holes waiting just above this 25-30' slide.

A fun drop on the Gronda. a upper trib of the Sorba. This was a fun drop with a right boof required to avoid the room of doom after pitoning. I learned that on my second lap but I was able to work my way out of it.

Cave rapid on the Sermenza. This rapid required a controlled turn left off a pillow into a ledge drop that if ran straight forward, you'd end up in the cave with boils and hole. This drop was on the last day and put everything we learned by Gene17 to the test. If you learned what they taught. This drop was a blast. I ran it twice with good results each time so I guess I got learned!!

My first attempt at a freewheel!! Landed it great with the exception of imploding my skirt but I was able to paddle to the eddie.

This was a drop just below Trumpet Falls on the Little Sermenza. It took the help of Alex Dey to remind me which drop it was. In part due to the angle Simon took the shot from which is above the falls looking down into it. The drop was in the 14-16' range and like Trumpet Falls. We ran this one blind as well. Good times!!

The first drop on the Sorba slides section. We ran laps on all three drops over and over to work on boofing and edge control. In the end. My left knee is still killing me to this day from shouldering my Nomad8.1 up the hills. I'm not whining. I just have a bad knee and brought it back to life. Oh, well?

The second drop on the Sorba slides section. We worked on boofing left into the eddie in the cave. In the beginning this move was killing me. After 2-3 laps I was nailing it like I knew how to kayak.

This seems to be a rarity in that I have high quality shots of myself kayaking. This is at least proof that I do in fact kayak!! If you ever get a chance to take a instruction trip with Gene17. Do it!! Simon Westgarth has assembled some of the best paddlers/instructors that's I've ever seen and had the opportunity to paddle with. Dave Carrol, Matt Tidey and Ed Cornfield are the shit:)