Monday, February 25, 2008

The Almighty Question - The Little White Salmon

So I've known for some time now that Devin would start getting on runs more demanding that what I'm up for running for several reasons. Mental, physical or capable of doing. Come on now, I started kayaking at 28 years old. The concept of learning a new language is up there will learning all there is to know about whitewater and kayaks. He has a wee but of an advantage. We both live kayaking but in different ways. Kayaking for me is what I spend all week working on peoples cars for. To relax, exercise and push my mental comfort limits. Devin spends a lot of his free time eyeing beta on oregonkayaking.net, liquidkayak.com and other sites he comes across. Why? To learn of the runs, technique and all around love of that is whitewater. Hell, his only real swim on the river was the "staircase" rapid on the SF of the Payettes when I flipped our raft at the entrance when he was 10 years old. That day as we headed out towards Yellowstone National Park he looked at me and said, "dad I want to learn to kayak". Why? "I can roll it back up if I get flipped over". He had never sat in one prior to this comment. Hmmmm, guess he made a good choice begging me when we stopped off at the Shed in Hood River on the way home from the trip that he wanted to try out a Jackson 1.5. John Hart made us a great deal on a setup of boat, skirt and paddle.

Funny that I was more concerned that he'd only get the boat out on a few class II's before getting bored or outgrow it.

Back to my dilemma, I've had several people wanting to get Devin on the L-Dub or Little White Salmon. As well as few wanting him to hold off. At this point I don't honestly know what to say and Devin probably thinks it's funny that I've been babbling about this for the past few days. Sunday he had an invite to go with Ryan Scott and a crew Ryan trusted but Devin was chilling with some friends already and I was headed out to playboat the Upper Wind.

This would not be the first run without me that Devin has done. First time was the Farmlands on the White Salmon when I got a beatdown in a hole below Little Lave and had to climb out. The next day he ran it again with a great crew I trusted in part to clip into my kayak so I could pull it up the cliff. Then the other weekend he continued on when I had to hike out off the Truss after giving him my PFD. I love him and trust his on the water 110%. He's about at home on the river as a salmon itself it seems. Not so good on land. Just watch the ending of "Toxic Water" and you'll see what I mean. Sorry Devin!!!

I'd like some input to this either way so please post a comment!!