Saturday, February 23, 2008

Farmlands-Truss Combo Run

Devin on OffRamp from a previous run. photo by Eric Arlington

Devin on Double Drop from previous run.



Today put a highly desired notch in mine and Devin's paddling wish list. Not that either of us are ones to have a list of runs we want to get on. I'd rather run it right that survive the run to say I've done it and moved on.

The "Farmland" or "Farmies" is 5 miles of class IV to V whitewater that run into the 5 mile "Green Truss" class V run on the White Salmon River in Washington. The Farmies are good above 3' on the Husum stick in the Winter with 90% of the water coming through them and into the Truss section. The problem is the Truss gets more demanding above 3' so running the two back to back can be tricky unless your into a burly Truss run. We have yet to run it over the Winter 2.25' so that's something we're both looking forward to, To find our comfort level on the Truss.

Todays level was once again 2.25' like last weekends run but this time I got a phone call from Heather Herbeck wanting to know it we wanted to run the Farmies and the Truss. It would be just myself Devin and Heather till the Truss were several people were gonna put on with us. The combo makes for close to 10 miles of paddling with a small margin of flatwater all up on the Farmies before "OffRamp" an interesting drop at lower flows. It's a class V drop that you avoid a narrow slot at the bottom left if you like your shoulders.

Both sections were good times even though the Farmies were lower than I'd normally want to run it unless I was continuing on through the Truss. One main benefit is you don't deal with the put-in frozen cliff!!

The only fun I had on the run was my sprayskirt imploding on DoubleDrop. I was using my crappy back up skirt. I was determined to not swim and after coming out of the bottom hole I paddled the swamped Nomad over to the bank and drained it.

No Bootie Beer For ME!!!