Sunday, March 9, 2008

Canyon Creek on Sat and U Wind on Sun

Saturday, myself, Devin and Dave Hoffman headed out for a planned 2-3 laps on Canyon Creek with a plan on working on lines down from Thrasher to above Tobi's drop. The level was 4.6' on the internet gauge or 4" below the unit at the put-in. Though I'd heard through the grape vine that several groups were gonna be headed out most likely for the same reason's. In the end we guessed around 16 boaters were on the creek at the same time. WOW!!

We were lucky enough to keep a good pace and stayed ahead of all the boats waiting their turns in eddies above drops and most likely a little carnage. I know of at least one nose banged up plugging Kahuna Falls.

One of the highlights to both runs was Devin having a OK line on Thrasher the first lap and a really good line on the second lap. In addition we ran Kahuna direct without eddying out above it like normal. Both laps we ended up too left to hit the flake perfect but we're gonna keep going at it till we find the sweet spot.

Sunday, myself and Devin met up with Kris Litz and some of her friends for a run down the Upper Wind. The gauge rock had water running through the horns that makes for a medium flow and to make it even more fun we opted for playboating it. We were the only two in playboats while the other four were in creekers. It was not my first time playboating it but it was Devin's. He was in his LiquidLogic PocketRocket and I went down in his new Ronin49. He still fit's great in the Pocket and the Ronin is a we bit too big for him to throw around as of yet, Too bad they don't have a smaller one out. As for me at 155lb, I loved the boat. I'm not the best playboater so I'm not gonna compare it's looping ability or anything like that but it help a line through the diagonals, holes and dodging boulders. It also had great hull speed and I caught several surfs in it. One other great feature was outfitting. My legs didn't fall asleep, nor cramp my toes with the shape of the bulkhead. Not something I can say about my Bliss-stick SuperRad. I will need to do a little adjusting to wear my shoes in the boat but that's my fault for not having a screwdriver or outfitted it at home with my gear on.

On Canyon I brought my camcorder but the battery ended up dead thanks to me switching it on earlier in the week and I'm still building my camcorder drybox for the new HD camcorder. Here's a recent pic of it's design. More to come and then the testing!!